Last week I was fed up with Korea. So today I decided to be more positive and share with you a few reasons why I love life here on the Korean peninsular, in no particuler order.
1. I have a job! A job that pays well. A job that is different day to day and fill of endless surprises.
2. I’m like a celebrity! People stare and giggle when I come near, I get screams of “hello Kate teacher!” all day long. And some mornings, if I am very lucky, I get students making arm hearts and shouting “I love you teacher” from the 4th floor windows.
3. The food. Korea sure does have some deliciously tasty food. Samgyupsal, dakgalbi, kalguksu, bulgogi, jjimdak…and endless other delights. But more about that coming soon. Stay tuned!
4. Super fast internet.
5. Transport. It’s really easy, and cheap, to get around. The buses are so luxurious- the seats are huge, and the trains have singing rooms in them!
6. The people. All of the Korean people that I have encountered have been so willing to help. Waitrons are known to hang around making sure you know how to eat the food they place in front of you. Perfect strangers will help you pay at a market when you have no idea how much to whip out of your wallet, without ripping you off. It’s simply wonderful!
7. New friends. I now have friends scattered around the globe which makes the prospect of travelling so much more exciting.
8. Did I mention that I live rent free? In a furnished apartment, with super low bills.
9. I get to travel. So far, since being in Korea, I have been able to visit China, Singapore and Bali. With tickets to get me to the Philippines and Hong Kong and grand plans to travel through Asia starting in March 2012.
So, really, life is sweet. And with only just over 4 months to go I really have to make the most of what time I have left.
Do you live in Korea? If so, what do you love about being here?